There is a childcare funding crisis, and parents are paying the price
As a parent, have you found your 30 hours of ‘free’ childcare isn’t actually free? Have you struggled to access funded childcare hours at times that suit you? Do you find you’re paying more for added extras such as meals or activities?
Since the government introduced the 30 hours funded childcare scheme – entitlement that you and your family deserve – childcare providers like the one you entrust to care for your children have struggled financially. The simple fact is the government is not paying childcare providers enough money per hour to deliver the ‘free’ entitlement.
With funding rates set in 2015 and frozen until 2020, many childcare settings have been unable to cope with rising wages, rents, rates and other operating costs. Some have been forced to close, others have had to put prices up or charge for extras outside the funded hours. Help us send a message to government that you are no longer willing to subsidise their ‘free’ flagship childcare offer and join the Fair Future Funding campaign action week, starting Monday 10 June.
During the campaign action week, we want every MP in England to be made aware of the funding crisis in the early years. We are demanding that government takes action and funds childcare properly, and reviews funding levels every year to make sure funding keeps pace with rising costs.
How to support the campaign
- if you haven’t already done so, sign-up to the campaign and receive regular updates: https://www.eyalliance.org.uk/fairfuturefunding
- write to your MP using our template letter. To send the letter electronically, you can find
contact details for your MP here: https://www.theyworkforyou.com/ Simply input your
postcode to get details of your MP, then click on the ‘Send a message’ button. You can then paste your letter into the box.
- let us know the name of the MP you’ve written to by emailing Rebecca and Deri at
- your childcare provider might be organising activities for the campaign week, so make sure
you find out what’s happening.
- join in on social media by following the @EYAlliance on Twitter and Facebook and by using
the hashtag #fairfuturefunding.
Talk to your childcare provider and add your voice to the Fair Future Funding campaign today!